Due to the exceptional circumstances created by the global coronavirus pandemic, the Canadian government have imposed a number of restrictions on international travel. Applying for an eTA is still possible however, but you have to be mindful of the additional restrictions and requirements that are currently being imposed on travelers.
Can you apply for the Canada eTA during the coronavirus pandemic?
Yes, it is still possible to apply for an eTA despite the current situation. And since an eTA has a validity of up to 5 years, one can simply apply at this time to get your eTA in advance, even if you have postponed your trip due to the pandemic. However, keep in mind that an even if your eTA application is approved, you are possible still subject to some additional restrictions if you elect to travel during the pandemic.
What are the current travel restrictions?
Since February 21, 2021, the following restrictions are in effect for all travelers going to Canada, regardless of their citizenship:
Before you travel
- Check your eligibility by filling out this questionnaire from the official government site here.
- Check the specific restrictions for the province or territory you will be visiting.
- Take an approved COVID-19 test within 72 hours of your scheduled departure time.
- Book a 3-night stay at an approved hotel.
- Pre-register for your arrival test.
- Submit your plans for travel and quarantine using the ArriveCAN app.
Boarding your flight
- Prepare your ArriveCAN receipt and test results for inspection.
- Check the current requirements when boarding flights to Canada here
Arriving in Canada
- Prepare your ArriveCAN receipt, test results and plans for review by an immigration officer-
- Take a COVID-19 test
- Go directly to your hotel and wait for the results of your test.
Completing your quarantine
- After receiving the result of your arrival test, you can then go to your final place of quarantine
- You must then register for your Day 10-test
- Stay quarantined until you receive the results of your Day 10-test.
Stay up-to-date with the most current information
All information about restrictions and requirements are subject to change without further notice. It is thus strongly advised that you stay continuously up-to-date by following all relevant authorities through their social media accounts and by following news media articles about new developments.