Visa exempt countries Canada

Citizens of visa exempt countries that are going to Canada must have a valid eTA Canada before boarding your plane.

An eTA is a travel authorization that allows foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries to enter Canada for stays of up to six months. An eTA is valid for up to five years or until your passport expires (whichever comes first).

An eTA is not a visa but a travel authorization, which means that the application process is simpler and faster than applying for a visa. You can apply for an authorization online here and will receive a reply soon after.

An eTA is only available to foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries as well as lawful permanent residents of the US (Green Card holders). It is therefore important that you make sure that your country is exempt from a visa requirement before you apply for an eTA.

We have created an infographic that makes it easier and hassle free for the traveller to undertand if they are eligible to travel with an Canada eTA and how it works. You can find this further down the page, and you can use it free of charge, if you link back to this page.

BarbadosBelgiumBritish CitizenBritish National¹British Virgin Islands
British Subject²Brunei DarussalamBulgariaCayman IslandsChile
CroatiaCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkEstonia
Falkland Islands (Malvinas)FinlandFranceGermanyGibraltar
GreeceHong Kong³HungaryIcelandIreland
Israel⁴ItalyJapanRepublic of KoreaLatvia
MonacoMontserratNetherlandsNew ZealandNorway
Papua New GuineaPitcairn IslandPolandPortugalRomania⁵
SamoaSan MarinoSingaporeSlovakiaSlovenia
Solomon IslandsSpainSaint HelenaSwedenSwitzerland
Taiwan ⁶United Arab EmiratesPermanent resident of the U.S.⁷Vatican City State⁸eTA Canada Application